Chairman: Michael Keefe, University of Delaware, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Chairman: Zahed Siddique, University of Oklahoma, email@example.com
Associate Vice Chairman and Chairman of International Activities Subcommittee: Dirk Schaefer, Georgia Tech, firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Chairman: Jeffrey Mountain, Norwich University, email@example.com
Secretary: Christopher Williams, Virginia Tech, firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Richard Goff, Virginia Tech, email@example.com
K-12 Outreach: Kathy Jacobson, firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 ASME/IDETC 10th Conference on International Design and Design Education
DEC Conference Chairman: Robert Nagel, James Madison University, email@example.com
Program Chairman: Jitesh Panchal, Purdue, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Chair of the DEC shall schedule, call and preside over the annual DEC meeting at the (fall) International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC).
- The Chair shall be the DEC's representative or liaison to the Design Engineering Division (DED) General Committee and shall prepare and submit appropriate reports to the DED Secretary for incorporation in the minutes of DED General Committee meetings.
- The Chair shall be the DEC's representative or liaison to the Board on Engineering Education (BEE), or shall appoint a delegate in the Chair's place.
- The Chair, with the assistance of the Secretary, shall prepare and submit an annual article for the DED Newsletter.
- The Chair shall have served at least one full term in another capacity, preferably Vice Chair or Associate Vice Chair of the Executive Subcommittee, before assuming the role of Chair.
- The Vice-Chair shall assist the Chair in directing the activities of the DEC and the DEC Executive Subcommittee.
- The Vice-Chair shall preside over meetings of the DEC and the DEC Executive Subcommittee in the absence of the Chair.
- The Associate Vice-Chair shall Chair the International Activities Subcommittee of the DEC.
- The Associate Vice-Chair shall preside over meetings of the DEC and the DEC Executive Subcommittee in the absence of the Chair and the Vice Chair.
- The Secretary shall record minutes of DEC and DEC Executive Committee meetings, ensure that they are properly archived, and distribute them—electronically, and in a timely manner—to the DEC membership.
- The Secretary shall annually poll the members electronically to ascertain their continuing interest, and shall maintain a current roster of DEC members and contact information.
- The Secretary shall be responsible for periodically reviewing and updating the DEC web site, maintained as a link from the ASME's and DED's web presence.
- The Secretary shall assist the Chair in preparing and submitting an annual article for the DED Newsletter.
- The Treasurer shall prepare and submit to the DED Treasurer a request for funding for the Young Design Engineer's Paper Competition and other expenditures.
- The Treasurer shall collect and compile statements from DED for DED assigned account, make requests for funds, maintain the DEC accounts and initiate strategies for developing funding for the DEC (e.g., by sponsoring sessions at IDETC and NDEC).
Subcommittee Chairs and Liaisons
- The Chair of the International Activities Subcommittee shall serve as Associate Vice-Chair of the DEC, organize and direct the activities set out by the International Activities Subcommittee, and report on those activities to the DEC Executive Subcommittee.
- The Chair of the Ralph Barnett – Carl Uzgiris Product Design Safety Award Subcommittee shall organize and direct the activities (specified in section 4 above) leading to the presentation of the Ralph Barnett – Carl Uzgiris Product Design Safety at a suitable awards ceremony, such as DED's Awards Luncheon at the annual IDETC.
- The Chair of the Young Design Engineer's Paper Competition Subcommittee shall organize and direct the activities (specified in section 4 above) leading to the presentation of the DEC's Young Design Engineer's Paper Award(s) at the IMEC&E.
- The IDETC Liaison shall maintain communication with the appropriate DED and ASME officials for the IDETC and ensure that needed arrangements can be made for DEC's participation.
- The IMEC&E Liaison shall maintain communication with the appropriate DED and ASME officials for the IMEC&E and ensure that needed arrangements can be made for DEC's participation.
- The NDEC Liaison shall maintain communication with the appropriate DED and ASME officials for the NDEC and ensure that needed arrangements can be made for DEC's participation.
- The Board on Pre-College Education (BPCE) Liaison shall maintain communication with the BPCE and with appropriate DED and ASME officials for the IMEC&E and the Summer Annual Meeting (SAM) and ensure that needed arrangements can be made for DEC's participation.
COMMITTEE OPERATING PROCEDURES
Once approved by the DED, a review of the manual of operating procedures shall be listed as a formal agenda item in the annual meeting of the DEC in every even-numbered year.
Further, this manual of operating procedures can be revised by a two-thirds majority of the members (of the DEC) voting. Proposed revisions must be forwarded to the DEC Chair at least 45 days prior to an annual DEC meeting in order that proposed revisions can be included in the meeting announcement, which shall be sent out to the DEC membership at least 30 days before that annual meeting. Proposed revisions will be discussed and voted on at the annual DEC meeting. members who cannot be present at the DEC annual meeting but who wish to vote on the suggested revision(s) may cast their vote by sending a signed letter to the Chair postmarked no later than 15 days before the annual meeting.
The results of the voting on revisions will be announced at the DEC meeting at which the revisions are considered. An up-to-date copy of this Manual of Operating Procedures shall be approved by and filed with the Design Engineering Division.
Design Education Committee By-laws
*DEC bylaws were approved at the DEC annual meeting, October 2004, reviewed August 2010.*
Note: Minor changes to the bylaws involving adjusting the term of officers to be 'consistent with the Design Education Committee and the ASME' was discussed during the 2010 DEC annual meeting, and it was agreed to proceed with changing the bylaws, as per the bylaws, with a formal vote at the next DEC annual meeting.
Vice Chairman: Mike Keefe