The ASME K-16 Committee is a joint committee of the Heat Transfer Division (HTD) and the Electrical and Electronic Packaging Division (EEPD). It is the focal point for ASME activities in the area of Thermal Management of Electronics. The committee strives to provide leadership in the dissemination of technical information, the transfer of technology, and the interchange of ideas between industrial, academic and government institutions involved in the science and the pedagogy of heat transfer and thermal management in electronics packaging. As a joint committee, the K-16 committee forms a bridge between the art and science of heat transfer in electronics as represented by the HTD and the application of that heat transfer science to thermal engineering of electronic equipment as represented by the EEPD.
Principal among the committee's activities is the sponsorship and organization of forums at national symposia. The K-16 committee organizes technical paper sessions, poster sessions, and specialists panels in technology areas related to the thermal management of electronics at the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exhibition (IMECE) at the Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Equipment (ITHERM) and at the ASME/Pacific Rim Technical Conference and Exhibition on Integration and Packaging of MEMS, NEMS, and Electronic Systems (InterPACK).
The K-16 Committee also seeks to bridge the gap between the Mechanical Engineering and the Electrical Engineering side of electronic packaging by cooperating with our sister committee in the IEEE: the TC-9 Committee on Thermal Management, a committee of IEEE/Components Packaging and Manufacturing Technology Society (CPMT). Together, the K-16 and TC-9 committees co-sponsor the Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Equipment (ITHERM). The ITHERM Conference is a premiere specialists conferences on thermal management of electronics and is held every other year in conjunction with the IEEE Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC).
Any ASME member is welcome to participate in the activities of the K-16 Committee. Contact the K-16 Chairperson for further information. Formal committee membership is limited to about 40 members but participants need not be formal members to actively contribute. The K-16 Committee has two annual meetings, typically at the winter IMECE and at either the InterPACK or ITHERM summer meetings. Check these pages for upcoming Meeting Dates and Times and the Meeting Agenda.
Honors and Awards
K16 Committee Meeting Minutes
- K-16 Committee Meeting Minutes, IMECE 2012, Houston, TX
- K-16 Committee Meeting Agenda, IMECE 2011, Denver, CO
- K-16 Committee Meeting Agenda, InterPack 2011, Portland, OR
- K-16 Committee Meeting Minutes, 2010 IMECE, Vancouver, BC
- K-16 Committee Meeting Minutes, 2010 ITHERM Bally's Hotel, Las Vegas, NV
- K-16 Committee Meeting Minutes, 2009 IMECE, Orlando, FL
- K-16 Committee Meeting Agenda, 2009 IMECE, Orlando, FL
- K-16 Committee Meeting Minutes Summer 2009
- K-16 Committee Meeting Agenda, 2009 SHTC & InterPack, San Francisco, CA
- K-16 Committee Meeting Agenda, 2008 IMECE, Boston, MA
- K-16 ITHERM 2008 Meeting Minutes
- K-16 IMECE 2007 Meeting Minutes - November 13, 2007
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Committee Meeting minutes - IMECE, Nov. 7, 2006
- K-16 IPACK 2007 Meeting Minutes
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Committee meeting minutes ITherm 2006, May 31, 2006
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Committee Meeting Minutes IMECE 2005
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Committee Meeting Minutes, InterPACK/SHTC, San Francisco, July, 2005
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Meeting Minutes, IMECE 2004, Anaheim, CA, Nov. 2004
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Meeeting Minutes ITherm 2004, San Diego, May 2004
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Committee Meeting Minutes, Wednesday, July 9, 2003, InterPack '03, Maui , Hawaii
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Committee Meeting Minutes, Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002, IMECE '02, New Orleans, LA
- K-16 Electronics Cooling Committee Meeting Minutes, Thursday, May 30, 2002, ITherm 2002, San Diego, CA
- K-16 Minutes, from the International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition November 4, 2001
- K-16 Minutes, from the International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition November 7, 2000
- K-16 Minutes, from the 34th National Heat Transfer Conference Sunday, August 20, 2000